Southern Utah Scale Squadron …See It… Build It… Fly It!

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.
A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.
But a man who works with his hands, and his brain and his heart is an artist!"

Mission Statement

SUSS Mission Statement: Dedicated RC Scale Modelers, who through the study and documentation of historical aircraft...duplicate, build, and fly radio controlled scale aircraft honoring pilots and aircraft...past and present...

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Arnold Vitarbo "Fujisawa"

I began making models in 1943 when a model kit cost 10 cents and came with a bottle of glue which cost 5 cents.
I usually build only scale models and have built dozens of models  My first R/C model was a Goldberg Cessna Skylane with an .049 Cox Engine and was controlled by an Escapement. The control was a transmitter which used a button. One push for right and two pushes for left. My first " Proportional Radio" was made in Texas by EK Logictrol and cost about $350.00, over half of my Air Force months pay.
I built my first "Giant" scale model, a Bud Nosen 1/4 scale Citabria with a Fox .78 engine which barely flew it,  which I built in 1979.
There were no aftermarket parts or accessories so we had to make all of our own parts.
During the past 20 years I have built a 1/4 scale PT-19, another 1/4 scale Citabria, a 1/4 scale Zero, two 1/5 Scale Spitfires, and two 1/5 scale Zeros, a 1/4 Scale Mr. Mulligan, and a 1/3 scale Flybaby. Most of my planes are scratch built either from my own plans or commercial plans
I have a private pilots license and have flown, Cessna 150s, 172s a Cessna Cardinal, Piper Comanche, Piper Cherokee 140, Piper Cherokee Arrow, Piper Cherokee 6, a Grumman Yankee and have a little time in a C-47 while I was in the Air Force.
Children
Donald (Retired US Air Force)
Laura
Arnold Vitarbo (TSGT US Air Force Retired)
Zero Construction
Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment