Southern Utah Scale Squadron …See It… Build It… Fly It!

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer.
A man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman.
But a man who works with his hands, and his brain and his heart is an artist!"

Mission Statement

SUSS Mission Statement: Dedicated RC Scale Modelers, who through the study and documentation of historical aircraft...duplicate, build, and fly radio controlled scale aircraft honoring pilots and aircraft...past and present...

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Craig Haslebacher "Pappy"

P-47 Thunderbolt
 
My name is Craig Haslebacher.  I got into modeling in 1960.  My first model was a Cox U Control AT6 airplane.  I built and flew these until 1972.  Then, I built my first radio which was a Heathkit 5 channel and my airplane was a VK Cherokee Babe.  After that it was war planes.  You name it, I have built it.  In 1976, I started fly-in competitions.  I won the 1977 West Coast Scale Meet.  What a thrill!  I also did fly demos for Northwest Model Technologies. I flew Corsairs at air shows and fly-ins for them.
 
In 1972, I started a new club at Whidbey Island Naval Air Station.  The club is still active today.  In 1995, I joined the Ram club in Auburn, Washington and became club President.  In 2000, I moved to Salem, Oregon and built my own runway on the family farm.  I put on a fly-in every year for five years.  I joined the IMAA in 2000 and became District XI Assistant Director working along side Pete Melin.  I also started flying Scale Masters in 2000 and competed for five years.  In 2013, I became IMAA District X Director for Utah.
 
Here I am fifty-two years later, still flying and building scale airplanes.  Last year, I was invited to fly at Top Gun.  Quite an honor!  Flying scale has so many challenges but the satisfaction is out of this world.  You actually become the pilot in the cockpit and relive those glory days!  Once you fly and build scale airplanes, you are hooked for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment